- Develop the hard skills required to be a leader.
- Find out what your strengths and weaknesses are so that you may obtain professional development to overcome the weaknesses and enhance your strengths.
- Ask for work that will help build your experience level. To be a leader you will need to manage projects from beginning to end.
- Shadow your boss and observe the interactions between subordinates and superiors.
- Ask someone in a position of authority to mentor you.
- Investigate and learn corporate and industry trends to be able to contribute in meetings.
- Be visible by participating in activities where senior management or board members may be active like charities that the company supports.
- Support your boss and do your job well even if you don't agree with the way he/she does things.
What other things would you do?